5 Replies to “Categories of Stigmatization: Style, Awareness, and Agency among Speakers of Spanish as a Heritage Language (Claudia Holguín Mendoza, Eve Higby, Lara Boyero, Melissa Mallon)”

1. Very interesting study. What would you suggest teachers to acknowledge these stigmatized forms in the classroom?

1. Thank you Yuly for your question! Exactly, this is one of the main objectives of this study. We want to show how it is so important for educators to critically and explicitly address these stigmatized forms and how they belong to different categories of stigmatization (and in different varieties of Spanish). In this way, students are able to critically evaluate language ideologies and the social meanings embedded in language forms.

2. Amazing presentation!

It’s very nice how you divided the “vernacular” forms into different categories of stigmatization! I was wondering if the entire list used in the study could be made available for use in the classroom. This will definitely be very useful in SHL instruction!

I was also curious about the other questions that you included in the survey. Could you please tell us more about them? Also, I wanted to ask about your next steps expanding the study. I look forward to hearing more about this work in the future!

Thank you so much! ?

1. Thank you very much Isabella for your comments! Other questions we asked in this study were related to the context: ¿Dirías esta frase con tu abuelita? ¿Con tu profesora? ¿Con tus amigos en el bar? We are in the process of publishing these findings. However, you can find similar previous studies where I also study some of these categories. You can find these papers here (paper 1 and 4): https://pedagogiascriticas.ucr.edu/investigacion-research-2/
      ¡Sigamos en contacto!

1. That is great! Thank you so much, Dr. Holguín Mendoza! ?